Monday, July 18, 2011

Checking Out Rochester!

Today my Mom and I had the opportunity to tour the Mayo Clinic as well as some of the downtown area. We actually learned some pretty cool stuff and got to see a lot as well. From what we learned, the two brothers who founded the Mayo were amazing people. They gave so much not only to their profession, but to their community and the whole field of medicine.

                               Me with a statue of the Mayo Brothers

The Mayo is an absolutely beautiful building. The floors and walls are all made of marble, and everything is so clean and shiny! It is so massive, it won't be too hard to get lost! The Mayo Building has 20 floors (with 10 being added on sometime in the future), and that is just one of at LEAST five! To give you guys an idea how big this place is, there are about 2016 doctors and physicians, 2789 resident/students and 27,544 "allied health staff"!!! Rochester has about the same population as Red Deer (about 90 000).... so 1/3 of the city is employed at the hospital!!!! WOW!!!



Downtown was so nice! There are a lot of little shopping centers and restaurants to choose from! My Mom and I went to a little Italian place called Victoria's. Well, my Mom and I both agreed that the pizza we had there was the BEST pizza we had EVER had! It was so good!
When we were done touring downtown, we went back to the Mayo Clinic and checked in for my appointments tomorrow. If  you guys are interested in what appointments I have I created a new page on my homepage called "My Appointments"!!!! I'm looking forward to seeing these doctors, but I'm also nervous to hear what they have to say!

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes the unknown is worst than the knowing. I have my toes & fingers crossed. Good Luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Courtney!
    I'm glad to hear that all is going well! And good luck at all of your appointments tomorrow!
    -Soph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Courts: You look great in the picture with the brothers.... are you trying to make me jealous saying they have the BEST pizza in Rochester. I looked up Iowa on the internet. Landon is going to be not too far from you. A few hundred miles. One of the girls here had a meeting with your Dr. A. here in Edmonton and she thinks he's "hot" Her words not mine.
    Talk to you later. Di.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Nuthin but the facts man!" Interesting stuff. Good to get comfortable with the area. I've been busy here and haven't been checking blogs.

    ReplyDelete