Thursday, July 21, 2011

Third Times a Charm!

Appointment wise, I think today was one of the best days I've had yet! My first appointment was with a gynecologist to further investigate the growths that are in my pelvis. She said that there is no way to tell whether these growths are cyst or tumors without doing surgery. Since they are not causing any problems, they have decided to leave the growths alone. When we were done with that appointment, we went and saw a endocrinologist (hormone doctor). Man did he ever get riled up when I told him I was on growth hormones a few months back. Before I even started treatment I knew that there was a possibility that I would have new tumors grow or that the ones I already had would get bigger. What I didn't know was that sometimes people who are on growth hormones develop a disease that is exactly like mad cow disease! Scary!!!!! So when that appointment was over with we went back to the geneticist to see if any of my test results had come back. Unfortunately, the DNA test that I talked about previously in one of my posts takes about 4-5 WEEKS to analyze! She also told me that for the most part, most of my hormone levels are "normal". We are waiting for the results of my T4 levels (thyroxin) to be processed. I am having symptoms of hypothyroidism, which is when your brain doesn't make enough thyroid hormone, which is responsible for things like metabolism and body temperature. Since I am chronically cold, have dry skin, fatigue, lack of energy etc. they decided to see if my body is making enough thyroxin. Lastly, we had an appointment with a different neurologist, since the one we first saw really did no good to us. This guy on the other hand, was absolutely AMAZING! He actually took about 30 minutes to go through my MRI scans and he showed me different parts of the brain, what they do, what certain colours on the scan mean.... He also told me that since 2008 (which was when I was first diagnosed with a brain tumor) it has SHRUNK by nearly half it's original size! Unfortunately though, he didn't know why I was having daily headaches. That is the 7th neurologist we've seen and who has told us the exact same thing. He suggested that I increase the dosage of the medication I am on right now. At the moment, I am on 25 mg of this medication, but sometimes he said that patients require up to 200 mg!
So yes I am disappointed that we have no "magic cure" for my headaches, but I am slowly getting used to the idea that maybe I cannot be fixed. It's hard knowing that doctors (who are supposed to know everything) have no idea what's going on with me. But at the same time, it's comforting knowing we took my issues to the "top", and that we have done everyting possible to get rid of my headaches.
After a long day at the Mayo, my Mom and I went downtown to see the street festival that they have every Thursday. It was really cool! They had a whole bunch of different vendors selling things from hot dogs to suit jackets to sunglasses. Tomorrow, we are going to the Mall of America to have some fun!
So below is a picture of me with my geneticist (Dr. Babovic) and below that is a picture of me and the shuttle bus driver that I mentioned in my post from yesterday!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney,

    Thanks for sharing your blog with me. It sounds like you are in good hands at the mayo clinic. All your talked about hormones and anatomy reminds me of fond memories learning all about that at RDC. Have fun at the Mall of America tomorrow.

    Sincerely,

    Mr. Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the mall, you & mom deserve a break. My fingers & toes are still crossed. oxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, I remember you saying that you were looking for answers. I think you are getting answers and hope that some one can put all this together for some positive results.
    Have a good time at the Mall of America.

    ReplyDelete