Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What a Fantastic Day!

Today was another great day at the Mayo. What an amazing place, I am so thankful for the opportunity to be seen by some of the worlds best doctors. Today, I saw an orthopedic surgeon about my scoliosis and the bony lumps that are on the first two ribs of my left rib cage. She was PHENOMENAL! She was so kind, gentle and actually had the time to address my concerns and questions. My Mom and I explained about our little incident yesterday with the neurologist and she actually was apologizing to my Mom and I! She even offered to have an appointment set up for me to see a pediatric neurologist tomorrow! After she took a bit of history of me and my scoliosis, she sent me to have x-rays of my neck. Yesterday, the neurologist was concerned about the curvature of my neck, but she said my scans looked good and everything was fine. She also suggested that the lumps on my ribs are due to the fact that the scoliosis has pushed my rib cage out, causing the bones to stick out as well. After that appointment, we went to go see the urologist for my frequent urination. He suggested that one of the tumors in my pelvis might be pressing on a nerve, which is causing my bladder to spam and then release urine when it isn't supposed to. Also, my brain could be making too much ADH (which makes you have to urinate), and if that is the case then that can be treated with medication. He set up an "extensive" test to measure the pelvic floor activity of my bladder.
Finally, after the urology appointment I went down to have an MRI. It lasted about an hour and a half, and it was absolutely BRUTAL to try and stay still. Near the hour mark, I started getting really uncomfortable and started squirming.

To all my Canadian friends, you have no idea how lucky we are to have free health care. We don't have to worry about paying outrageous costs for consultations and even for a simple blood test. Here, you have to pay for each individual hormone being tested. That's CRAZY!

I believe my Mom and I have made a new friend.... one of the guys who drives the shuttle back and forth from our hotel to the Mayo Clinic. Honestly, he kind of looks a bit like Santa Clause!!!. He is so funny, and is kind to everyone. He has actually given me a pet name... Smiley!

Oh! My Mom booked two seats on one of the local shuttle buses to go up to the Mall of America on Friday... I am SUPER excited about that!

My Mom and I have a bright and early day tomorrow, make sure to look out for my post!

1 comment:

  1. I am always amazed at how you are really up on the medical conditions. Sounds like you've learned a whole lot of good things. I guess it helps just knowing what's going on. Back home it seems like they could not investigate far enough to know what was happening.Good idea to see all you can while you're there. Hope you're both doing well. Hi to your Mom. Have a great and wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete